[Fontinst] normal, compact, expand and fontinst

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Sat Feb 10 01:07:51 CET 2007

9 feb 2007 kl. 22.46 skrev Michael A Peters:
> Looking at the archives, I hope this is a user list and not just
> development ... apologies if it is developer.

No, it's for all sorts of things. (There isn't that much traffic
anyway.)

> I'm trying to use fontinst to install the "Phollick" family by
> Typotheticals (Graham Meade).
[snip]
> For the berry name I used fpk as it looks like pk isn't officially
> taken
> in the Sept 2005 fontname.pdf file. The fonts are all standard adobe
> encoding.

You might want to register that "officially", then. A mail to the TeX
Fonts list <tex-fonts at math.utah.edu> saying "I want a family code for
font XXX, is YY available?", plus a list of the fonts (names, vendor
file names, and whatever you can provide) is often appreciated.

> and it seems to work - but the map file only points to two of the pfb
> files:
>
> fpkr8r Phollick <8r.enc <fpkr8a.pfb " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
> fpkro8r PhollickOblique <8r.enc <fpkro8a.pfb " TeXBase1Encoding
> ReEncodeFont "
>
> I still have a lot to learn about type1 fonts in LaTeX but I'm guessing
> the compact and expand variants of the font can't be used if the map
> file doesn't point to the actual pfb files,

Quite right!

> so I think I must be doing
> something wrong (missing something?) in the fpk-drv file.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.

A likely cause is that \latinfamily doesn't stumble upon (because
that's about as smart as it is) the other two widths. It prints out
oodles of information about what fonts it looks at, though, so if you
look through that you should be able to spot whether it tries to handle
them or not.

For getting it to work, there are (at least) three different approaches:
1. There could be a fix as simple as using a different width code in
the font names; you'll see that if you look through the log messages
mentioned above.
2. It is possible to modify \latinfamily's list of widths, so that it
processes those you have here even if it wouldn't by default. It's too
late at night for me to recall the exact macros to redefine, however.
3. Finally, it is always the case that you can tell fontinst exactly
what fonts you want to make (and from what) by writing explicit
\installfont commands; look in examples/basicex.tex (that's in the
fontinst directory on CTAN, dunno where it might have been put in TeX
Live right now) for some suggestions.

> Also - I know fake font faces are generally frowned upon in
> typesetting,
> but does anyone know of a simple way (IE maybe fontforge cli command)
> script creation of bold weight afm/pfb from the real fonts?

I know that a long time ago, bold fonts were sometimes faked by
changing a parameter in the font (somewhat analogous to using larger
pens throughout in a MetaFont font, if you know that), but whether that
is "simple" to achieve today is another matter. (It could be that it
works fine in real postscript, but fails miserably in PDF.) If noone
comes up with anything better, I'll see if I can reconstruct this
trick.