[Fontinst] kerns for digits

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 16:13:02 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:03:39PM +0200, Walter Schmidt wrote:
> Thanh Han The schrieb:
>
> > and pplr8t indeed contains kerns for digits (for example 1 <-> 1)
>
> Btw, this is actually the _only_ kern pair for digits in
> this font (Palatino Roman).
>
> > I have been digging for a while in fontinst sources and
> > documentation to find out why the fonts coming with texlive
> > and tetex don't have this problem, but without success.
>
> Because I use to remove such annoying kerning pairs when
> installing fonts for TeX :-)
>
> As far as Palatino is concerned, I admit that "11" looks
> indeed slightly better with a small amount of negative
> kerning.  OTOH, this ruins tabular arrangements, which
> would a far more serious drawback.  Note, however, that
> I would not remove such kerning pairs, when digits have
> non-uniform width.
>
> > Can
> > someone please give me a hint what I am missing?
>
> You did not examine the fontinst sources of PSNFSS
> collection, see <CTAN:fonts/psfonts/psnfss-source/>.

thanks for the hint. btw, the urw fonts contains more kerns
for digits than just the "11" kern.

Encoding files for use with afm2tfm/pdftex/dvips like ec.enc  or
dc.enc have instructions like

% LIGKERN space {} * ; * {} space ; zero {} * ; * {} zero ;
% LIGKERN one {} * ; * {} one ; two {} * ; * {} two ;
% LIGKERN three {} * ; * {} three ; four {} * ; * {} four ;
% LIGKERN five {} * ; * {} five ; six {} * ; * {} six ;
% LIGKERN seven {} * ; * {} seven ; eight {} * ; * {} eight ;
% LIGKERN nine {} * ; * {} nine ;

to throw away kerns for digits and space. So I looked for
some similar code in fontinst but couldn't find any. I
should have asked on this ml first to save some time.

Thanks again for the answer,
Thanh