[Fontinst] title graphic

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu Jun 23 18:29:00 CEST 2005

Walter Schmidt schrieb:
> Stephan Hennig schrieb:
>
>> when I try to build a document using Palatino pdflatex complains about
>> some missing font files:
>>
>> {8r.enc}
>> Warning: pdflatex (file por_____.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
>> reading
>> Warning: pdflatex (file pob_____.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
>> reading
>
> The configuration of pdfTdX is apparently broken.  It searches
> for the commercial Adobe fonts (named por_____.pfb stc), rather
> than for the free substitutes (URW Palladio) which come with the
> TeX system.

I have set

LW35 ADOBE

in my local updmap.cfg as suggested by Ralf. Now this makes perfect
sense to me---this setting is for users that have _bought_ all those
fonts from Adobe.

>> As can be seen above, epstopdf _can_ embed a font that's called
>> Palatino.
>
> Either you have the original Palatino fonts somwehere on your PC,

No.

> so that epstopdf uses them, or epstopdf uses actually Palladio and
> can fake the /FontName in the generated PDF file -- I don't know.

Could there be a third alternative? I think something _is_ embedded in
the file converted by epstopdf. But it's not the same that is still
embedded (URW Palladio) by mptopdf even with

pdftexDownloadBase14 false

in updmap.cfg. In case you're interested you can find both files here:

<URL:http://home.arcor.de/stephanhennig/Downloads/rm-epstopdf.pdf>
<URL:http://home.arcor.de/stephanhennig/Downloads/rm-mptopdf-noembed.pdf>

>> I'd like to use that with LaTeX. Is that possible?
>
> Obtain the commercial Adobe font files such as por_____.pfb etc.
> and put them into a directory where pdfTeX will find them.

Well, then I'll take the URW replacement for the time beeing. :)

Regards
Stephan Hennig