[Fontinst] table figures?

Philipp Lehman lehman at gmx.net
Mon May 23 22:30:01 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2005 17:27 schrieb Ingo Reich:

> >(or did you think about doing that using LaTeX macros? That
> > probably wouldn't be easy to make to work with digits from
> > autogenerated numbers, such as page numbers and the like.)
>
> This is what first came to my mind -- though I do not know (yet),
> what such a macro could look like; in the end it should be possible
> to simply write something like \textmono{123} or
> \textmono[1em]{123} where the first argument determines the width
> of each character.

If the applications you have in mind are really that basic, something
like the following will do:

\documentclass{minimal}
\makeatletter

\newcommand*{\textmono}[2][0.5em]{%
  \@monospace{#1}#2\@nil}

\newcommand*{\monocounter}[2][0.5em]{%
  \begingroup
  \edef\x{\noexpand\textmono[#1]{\arabic{#2}}}%
  \expandafter\endgroup\x}

\def\@monospace#1#2#3\@nil{%
  \makebox[#1]{#2}%
  \ifx\\#3\\\else
    \@monospace{#1}#3\@nil
  \fi}

\makeatother
\begin{document}

\textmono{1234,6789}

\textmono[0.5em]{0987,4321}

\newcounter{test}
\setcounter{test}{1234}
\monocounter{test}

\end{document}

(You obviously need to switch to a font with proportional numbers to
see the effect.)

> (Sounds a bit like letterspacing to me, so maybe
> I should have a look at uline.sty or letterspacing.sty.

It's a different thing. Letterspacing means inserting additional
space, but the width of the letters is still proportional.

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman at gmx.net>