[Fontinst] topaccent definition

Alexej Kryukov akrioukov at newmail.ru
Tue May 3 19:29:51 CEST 2005

On Saturday 30 April 2005 19:21, Lars Hellström wrote:
> Mostly out of curiousity: Are you using pens when drawing, or do you
> express the glyph outlines? Given the "cm" prefix, I'd guess it's all
> done in the Knuthian style of drawing with pens, though.

As I have mentioned, the fonts are converted from METAFONT sources,
so my package is just one more clone of the CM family. Its
specific feature is, that glyphs are reordered to form a set
of Type 1 fonts with more or less standard encodings, usable
outside of TeX. That's why I have to use fontinst to turn
the fonts back into a form which can be understood by TeX.
See fonts/ps-type1/cm-lgc/ on CTAN for more information.

> Yes there is. Remember that the italicslant is a "cotangent" of
> sorts, i.e., a horizontal displacement divided by a vertical
> displacement (only magnified by 1000, as is the rule in fontinst).

> OK, that's another way to look at it (it boils down to the same
> calculations either way), but italicslant is _documented_ to be a
> factor quantity rather than a length.

Yes, but if you multiply tan(italic_angle) (which actually
a horizontal displacement divided by a vertical displacement
is) by 1000, you'll get nothing else than a horisontal shift
at height 1000.

Of course it really doesn't matter, because, as I understand
now, \scale{a}{b}, indeed, is actually the same thing as
\scale{b}{a}, so that my question looks quite stupid. Nevertheless,
I remember that the change I described really helped me to
correct accent positioning in the generated fonts. Don't know
why...

--
Regards,
Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty