[Fontinst] Started installing verbose OpenType Minion

Juan M Alberdi juanalberdi at euskalnet.net
Sun Mar 13 15:59:02 CET 2005

Hello,

I'd be grateful if someone could help me with installing Minion Pro
Opticals I own in an OpenType format. I've seen this issue discussed in
previous emails but I'm afraid I need more help.

I've started converting the .otf files to .pfb files with cfftot1 by Eddie
Kohler, and got .afm files using a trial copy of the program TransTypePro
by FontLab. Then I've started trying fontinst in a verbose mode with the
font MinionPro-Regular,

\input fontinst.sty
\recordtransforms{minion_map.recs}

1) With a file I've written adhoc, I've renamed the glyphs in my pmn8a.afm
file changing, for example, A.sc to Asmall, f_l to fl, one.inferior to
oneinferior, etc. This has created a pmn8k.mtx file with the new glyph
names and the same Adobe Standard Encoding as in pmn8a.afm.

\reglyphfonts
\input renaglyph
\reglyphfont{pmn8k}{pmn8a}
\endreglyphfonts

2) I've transformed the pmn8k.mtx file to pmn8r.pl with encoding 8r, and
to pmn8x.pl with encoding "adexp", an Adobe Expert Encoding with Adobe
glyph names.

\transformfont{pmn8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\frommtx{pmn8k}}}
\transformfont{pmn8x}{\reencodefont{adexp}{\frommtx{pmn8k}}}

3) I've created two .vpl files, one normal font and the other one small
caps

\installfonts
   \installfamily{T1}{pmn}{}
   \installfont {pmn9t11}{pmn8r,pmn8x,newlatin}{t1}{T1}{pmn}{m}{n}{}
   \installfont {pmnc9t11}{pmn8r,pmn8x,newlatin}{t1c}{T1}{pmn}{m}{sc}{}
\endinstallfonts
\endrecordtransforms
\bye

4) When fontinst has ended, I've tried to create a map file with
finstmsc.sty, which used a finstmsc.rc file containing the line

\declarepsencoding{adexp}{fontinst-autoenc-adexp}{\download{adexp.enc}}

but I get the error

! Map fragments writer error:
         \makemapentry for reglyphed font.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
\generic_error ...turn> \space for immediate help}
                                                   \endgroup
\make_map_entry ...been reglyphed! \error_help_a }
                                                   \else \entry_makers_list
\...

\makemapentry ...ap_entry \csname Tf-#1\endcsname
                                                   \fi \endgroup
l.4 \makemapentry{pmn8r}

?

5) I've written manually a pmn.map file containing

pmn8r MinionPro-Regular <8r.enc <pmn8a.pfb " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont
"
pmn8x MinionPro-Regular-Expert <adexp.enc <pmn8a.pfb " "

and after finishing installing the fonts in my MiKTeX distribution and
running a LaTeX example I can't get the smallcap glyphs with yap. This
tells me that pmn8x is unloadable and substitutes smallcase with smallcase
computer modern glyphs.

Thanks in advance

Juan