[Fontinst] Berry name for optical sizes

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Wed Mar 9 13:26:54 CET 2005

At 12.55 +0100 2005-03-09, juan mari alberdi wrote:
>Hello,
>
>In the fontinst archive list I've found the following message (April 2003)
>whose answer I'd like to know,
>
>  Folks,
>
>how does one Berry-name fonts in different optical sizes (in particular:
>the four Adobe sizes Caption, Regular, Subhead, and Display)?  The
>fontname manual seems to provide only one variant letter for all possible
>design size variants.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Marco
>

>I didn't find any answer to this question in the archive so, please, could
>anyone suggest something?

The most traditional Fontname approach of distinguishing fonts by optical
size is to include a numeric size. There is of course the problem that you
generally don't know what physical size any of these names correspond to,
but just for the sake of assigning names this doesn't matter much. You
could do

  Regular = 10
  Subhead = 12
  Caption = 14
  Display = 17

(these sizes being the traditional TeX \magsteps 10*1.2^m for m=0,1,2,3) or
whatever.

However I think I have seen in some Adobe documentation a "map" from size
designations such as "Caption" to numeric pointsizes, and the above
probably doesn't fit that very well. If you manage to track that down then
you may be able to assign more accurate numbers.