[Fontinst] Simple question about \xscalefont{}{}

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Wed Jun 30 10:40:44 CEST 2004

At 23.51 +0200 2004-06-28, Duraid Madina wrote:
>Lars Hellström wrote:
>> However, since you are using fontinst on the \latinfamily (which is a
>> generic just-make-all-the-fonts-in-this-family command) level, you will
>> probably find it easier to use the \fakenarrow directive to \latinfamily.
>
>Thanks Lars! That worked well, but wasn't quite what I was expecting.
>The characters are all narrower now, but the empty space between them
>has grown - I can't fit any more characters on a line than I could
>previously.

I don't think that is what should happen.

>Is there a different (or perhaps further) command I should use to
>horizontally scale the _entire_ typeface, glyphs and spaces alike?

There may be some mix-up as to which metrics are being used. I can imagine
that one would get the effect you discribe if the dvips (or the like)
mapfile entries were changed according to the xscale, but the TFMs and VFs
you're using stayed the same. The effect of the \fakenarrow is that in
addition to the normal fonts, also 'narrow' fonts are made, but I don't
recall right now (and haven't got the time to check experimentally) how
they are encoded in LaTeX. The narrow fonts could appear as a separate pcr?
family, or simply as a different series of the default fonts.