[Fontinst] Adding unencoded glyph

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Wed Mar 31 19:13:31 CEST 2004

At 18.57 +0200 2004-03-31, Walter Schmidt wrote:
>On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:39:28 +0200, Hilmar Schlegel wrote:
>
>>Another way would be to request from Linotype a *functional* font
>>program (correct naming of characterstrings)
>
>Putting a (second) Euro into the 'currency' slot is common
>practice,

Indeed.

>because this is the only way to make the Euro
>accessible in certain programs.  (In particular on Mac,
>as far as I know.)

I don't think this is really the case, but it is probably far easier (from
the foundries' point of view) than to actually do it right. The MacRoman
reencoding is the simplest to request (just set a flag bit), but the FOND
resource does support arbitrary reencoding of fonts (encoding positions to
glyph names). Apple documentation of this resource has however generally
been rather poor. (I think rumour has it that the best documentation was
the manual for the original LaserWriter printer. From there it has been all
down-hill.)