[Fontinst] Adding unencoded glyph

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Wed Mar 31 13:42:40 CEST 2004

At 11.40 +0200 2004-03-31, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to setup fontinst for Linotype Helvetica Neue. Everything
>is working quiet nice except that I'm obviously too stupid to get the
>'currency' glyph. The point is that Linotype as encoded the Euro twice
>as 'Euro' and 'currency'. The original currency sign is stored as
>'oldcurrency'. Of course when generating the text companion fonts I
>want both characters.
>
>The reencoded font lhnj8r has a line
>\setscalednotglyph{oldcurrency}{lhnj8r}{10pt}{1000}{-1}{556}{588}{-92}
>{0}

The problem here is that the glyph is unencoded (i.e., it has slot number
-1). This means it cannot be reached by TeX. You need to \reencodefont with
some  encoding that assigns a slot position to `oldcurrency'.

>One fontinst instruction looks like
>\installfont{lhnj8c}{lhnj8r,lhnj9z,unsetcurrency,resetcurrency,textcom
>p}{ts1}{TS1}{lhn}{ul}{n}{}
>
>unsetcurrency.mtx has
>\relax
>\metrics
>\unsetglyph{currency}
>\endmetrics
>
>whereas in resetcurrency.mtx I tried two variations which seemed ok
>for me but doesn't work. The first produced an error message like
>'missing number' while the second doesn't work at all.
>(1)
>\relax
>\metrics
>\resetglyph{currency}
>   \glyph{oldcurrency}{1000}
>\endsetglyph
>\setleftrightkerning{currency}{oldcurrency}{1000}
>\endmetrics

That error is because there isn't an `oldcurrency' glyph. The
\setscalednotglyph above will define `oldcurrency-not', so that this
non-useful (because no slot is assigned) definition of `oldcurrency' won't
get in the way of another useful definition that _might_ be provided by a
font you load later.

>(2)
>\relax
>\metrics
>\reglyphfonts
>\renameglyph{currency}{oldcurrency}
>\endreglyphfonts
>\endmetrics

\renameglyph just sets up a definition for \reglyphfont. It isn't meant to
be used in MTX files, but rather as a preparation for the \reglyphfont
automatic transformation of such files.