[Fontinst] Map files fragment

Paul Pichaureau paulp at nerim.net
Fri Dec 12 16:49:51 CET 2003

  I have used recently this new feature of fontinst (creation of map
file), I found it very useful. This is some comments about it:

* I have created compressed version of the cmtt font. The resulting
map file looks like:

xcmtt950 CMTT10 <cmtt10.pfb " 0.95 ExtendFont "
xcmtt900 CMTT10 <cmtt10.pfb " 0.9 ExtendFont "
xcmtt850 CMTT10 <cmtt10.pfb " 0.85 ExtendFont "
xcmtt800 CMTT10 <cmtt10.pfb " 0.8 ExtendFont "
xcmtt750 CMTT10 <cmtt10.pfb " 0.75 ExtendFont "
xcmtt700 CMTT10 <cmtt10.pfb " 0.7 ExtendFont "

but when tex created this file, it complains:

Map fragments writer warning:
        Font cmtt10 generated again on input line 15.

Map fragments writer warning:
        Font cmtt10 generated again on input line 17.

Map fragments writer warning:
        Font cmtt10 generated again on input line 19.

Map fragments writer warning:
        Font cmtt10 generated again on input line 21.

Map fragments writer warning:
        Font cmtt10 generated again on input line 23.

I found that quite strange. In fact, the cmtt10 font is not generated
at all. It is loaded many times, but not generated. Am I missing
something ?

* the default prefix of outline file is *.pfa. As far as I know, *.pfb
is much more frequent.

* I think the concept of driver (in the sense it is used here) will
become obsolete with the updmap utility. On my system (miktex 2.3 /
windows xp) the same map file is used to configure all the driver (I
use commonly dvips, yap, pdftex). Perhaps a generic driver 'updmap'
could be useful. By the way, the map file generated with the actual
dvips driver fits well with the updmap utility.

Hope to be useful,

--
 Paul Pichaureau                    http://paulp.nerim.net