[Fontinst] fontsize normalization

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at gmx.net
Sun Sep 7 04:20:40 CEST 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:50:12 +0300, Popescu Cezar wrote:

>[...]the problem is that xheight of lettrght is bigger that
>minions'.
>
>is there a possibility to ``normalize'' the sizes at fontinst
>generation time?

You can scale the fonts there, but "general normalization"
is not possible:  Optimal blending of fonts with different
proportions does not always mean that the x-height is made
the same.   More often it turns out to be a compromise
between matching x-height and matching size of the capitals.
This cannot be computed; you have to judge it optically
in each particular case.

Thus, I'd prefer to implement variable scaling at _usage_
time, i.e., in the .fd file.  Take a look at *phv.fd and
helvet.sty from the PSNFSS bundle to see how it can be done.
I have to admit that this was an ad-hoc solution; I hope
that a general interface will be provided with LaTeX3.

HTH
Walter