[Fontinst] latest fixes for fontinst 1.914

LarsHellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Tue Mar 18 11:45:17 CET 2003

At 19.35 +0100 2003-03-17, Walter Schmidt wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:50:14 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote:
>
>>>Strangely, the old code gave a perfect zdotaccent with Palatino
>>>(but not with many other typefaces).
>>
>>Hmm... Exactly *what* are you seeing?
>
>Taka a look at the attached PDF.  In contrast to what I said
>before, the problem is Palatino's "dotaccent", rather then
>the "i".  The dotaccent is protruding over the top edge of
>its box.  Thus, my new \itopaccent macro fails, whereas the
>normal \topaccent macro happens to create a proper "zdotaccent".

Freaky! The dotaccent extends outside its bounding box! Which foundry is
responsible for this? (I vaguely seem to recall that Palatino is one of the
fonts that have clones, but I could be wrong.)

Of course, if Palatino always produces silly results for the Polish
letters, then it is perhaps rather the font than the scripts that should be
considered broken.