[Fontinst] latest fixes for fontinst 1.914

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Mon Mar 17 16:59:03 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:37:36 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote:

>What I would like to know is whether anyone has tested it.

Bad news:

The trick to make "zdotaccent" exatly as high as "i" is not
reliable.  For instance, Palatino has an "i" with a lot of
white space above it, so the dot on the z is placed too high.
Strangely, the old code gave a perfect zdotaccent with Palatino
(but not with many other typefaces).

It seems as if there is generally no reliable way to get the
Polish diacritics right, without maual intervention.  I'm
giving up!

I have removed the dotaccent trick from latin.mtx and added
proper comments to all files now:

  <http://home.vr-web.de/was/x/fontinst-1.914/>

--
Walter