[Fontinst] Vector file for small caps in 8x fonts

Philipp Lehman lehman@gmx.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:36:57 +0100

While working on a fontinst tutorial, I've been looking through some
old fontinst drivers of mine. I found an encoding vector intended to
build a T1 encoded small caps font based on an upright 8r font plus
the corresponding 8x font. Basically, all it does is:

\setcommand\lc#1#2{#1small}
\setcommand\uc#1#2{#1}
\setcommand\lctop#1#2{#1small}
\setcommand\uctop#1#2{#1}
\setcommand\lclig#1#2{#1small}
\setcommand\uclig#1#2{#1}
\setcommand\digit#1{#1}
\inputetx{T1}

I don't recall why I didn't use t1c.etx back then which does the same
thing. Looking at t1c.etx, I find the following statement:

% T1c.etx -- install a T1-encoded faked small-caps font
%
% This is used exclusively to install faked small-caps fonts;
% real small caps fonts are installed using the default T1.etx.

What I don't get is what's so specific to _faked_ small caps about
t1c.etx. It seems to work just fine for both faked and real small
caps. Is this comment misleading or am I missing something here?

--
Philipp Lehman  <lehman@gmx.net>