Encoding for SC-fonts

Walter Schmidt was@vr-web.de
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:54:40 +0100

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:03:18 +0100, Christian H. Kuhn wrote:

> But i do not understand why i should name the virtual SC-fonts
> as expertised fonts.

You need not to do so.  Yet it makes sense:

I always use "expert" names, regardless of whether the smallcaps are
taken from an expert or an SC font.  Thus, I save the "non-expert"
name for the case of installing the same font family without SC or
expert fonts, perhaps faking the smallcaps.

This matters, for instance, in the case of Palatino, where pplrc8t
is the faked smallcaps VF, distributed with PSNFSS,  whereas pplrc9e
would use the real Palatino-SC font.

--
Walter