wrong ligatures in ae and ze tt fonts

Uwe Koloska uwe.koloska@mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:09:25 +0200

Am Samstag, 23. Juni 2001 22:40 schrieb Lars Hellström:
> I'm not so sure it is questionable (anymore; I too thought it was when I
> wrote the monowidth/typewriter comments in the v1.9 fontinst sources).
> The main problem is that `--' _is_ allowed input for generating an endash
> in the T1 encoding, and hence all fonts with that encoding should work
> like that.

I thought that an encoding describes only the mapping of a number to a
glyph.  Isn't this true?

If ligatures are part of an encoding, then all the sources I know that
claim to describe T1 (or LY1, or AdobeStandard) are at least incomplete.

> It is not very useful for typewriter fonts (LaTeX's \verb and
> verbatim do a bunch of special declarations to escape these ligatures),

For use with T1?

> but it is nontheless a standard in the encoding. The reason there is no
> such ligature in OT1 typewriter fonts is rather that OT1 is a highly
> questionable identification of what is at least five different encodings.

I am curious:  cmr, cmtt, cmmi, cmsy, cmex?
But the last three are math encodings (more or less ;-))

Maybe it would be a good idea, to have subdivisons for (TeX) encodings?
The the problem would vanish to having T1(.normal) and T1.tt that only
differ in the used ligatures ...

Just my .2 EUR
Uwe

--