wrong ligatures in ae and ze tt fonts

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 22:48:24 +0200

At 14.07 +0200 2001-06-23, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Walter Schmidt writes:
> > Any monospaced font installed by fontinst yields the
> > same result:  With OT1 encoding, "--" gives "--",
> > with T1 it gives "-".
> >
> > Obviously, fontinst reproduces exactly the questionable
> > behavior of the "real" CM/EC fonts.
>
>very questionable indeed! lets fix fontinst to NOT reproduced such a
>silly feature.

I'm not so sure it is questionable (anymore; I too thought it was when I
wrote the monowidth/typewriter comments in the v1.9 fontinst sources). The
main problem is that `--' _is_ allowed input for generating an endash in
the T1 encoding, and hence all fonts with that encoding should work like
that. It is not very useful for typewriter fonts (LaTeX's \verb and
verbatim do a bunch of special declarations to escape these ligatures), but
it is nontheless a standard in the encoding. The reason there is no such
ligature in OT1 typewriter fonts is rather that OT1 is a highly
questionable identification of what is at least five different encodings.

Lars Hellström