Apps co-operation on fonts.

Evan Leibovitch evan@starnix.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:25:06 +0200

Hello, I don't know if this is considered on-topic (it's not a specific
question about fintinst) but I am hoping to find some people with an
interest in this subject...

What techniques exist to simply the task of installing fonts that can be
shared amongst many applications?

TeX has its methods. Dvips and various other dvi drivers have their own.
All of these are distinct from the methods and locations used by X
Windows.

Is there any interest in a standard scheme that would give all
applications on a system access to all fonts? While it might be a stretch
asking conventional graphics and office apps understand Metafont, there
could (and maybe should) be a standard way to locate Postscript fonts
on Unix, Linux and similar systems.

I woould greatly appreciate if anyone could offer suggestions on this
issue (or pointers to where it's already been/being discussed).

Thanks!

- Evan