(even more!) BUGS: 1.9.15's omx.etx and mathex.mtx

Walter Schmidt walter.schmidt@arcormail.de
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:21:13 -0500

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:45:53 +0100, schlegel@vossnet.de wrote:

>I attach a working mathex.etx

You mean:  working with MathTime, as opposed to Symbol?
I cannot check it out, because I don't have the MathTime fonts.

[Notice, that the current mathex.mtx isn't actually used for
the mathptm or mathptmx fonts.  Instead, a particular file
zrvhax.mtx is used, that takes only certain glyphs from
Adobe Symbol and performs also all the hacks needed to use
these glyphs with TeX.]

>[...]
>I suggest either to choose a strict definition or follow a strategy of
>minimal modification of a working scheme...

I prefer the latter way:  Stay with unchanged oml.etx,
oms.etx and omx.etx.  Otherwise, existing fontinst scripts
and/or mtx files may need to be rewritten.

Existing font families use different glyph names, so
different .mtx files to map these to the names used in OML,
OMS and OMX are required, anyway.

The introduction of the future extended math font encodings
is perhaps the right time to use other (Unicode?) glyph names
in our .etx files.

--
Walter