Tilde/asciitilde, circumflex/asciicircum

Primoz Peterlin peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:00:11 -0400

Hello,

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Pierre MacKay wrote:

> I have to confess that I started manipulating VPL files
> with a combination of SED and AWK some time before
> fontinst started.  I put so much effort into that that
> I never started using fontinst, though I thoroughly
> applaud the fontinst project.  That is why I offer
> crude, direct solutions to VPL miscodings, rather than
> going through fontinst, which I only marginally understand.

As a beginner in fontinst, I can very well understand this. Right now, I
also still find it much easier to directly manipulate VPL files, rather
than learning about MTX files...

On the other hand, while patching VPL files by hand can be an interesting
hobby for experts like you, it is probably not something a novice like me
should start with, as you sometimes get too much immersed in the details
to realize you are making mistakes on a larger scale. I believe I have
also fallen into this trap.

Namely, we all know that if you simply substitute tilde accent with
asciitilde, you are likely to be very unhappy with the result. Since I am
not, there must be something rotten with it. The reason is I wanted
asciitilde from the start, and would have probably been unhappy if I would
got a tilde accent instead. Letter Gothic is a monospaced font, and I
should have used some typewriter font encoding like OT1TT, and then I
should have never run into this problem at all.

However, I do not find anything like ot1tt.etx. Shouldn't there be one in
the fontinst package?

Best regards, Primoz

--
Primož Peterlin,   Inštitut za biofiziko, Med. fakulteta, Univerza v Ljubljani
Lipičeva 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija.  primoz.peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si