T1 (was Re: Comments wanted: Directory structure of fontinst/inputs/)

Primoz Peterlin peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:38:25 -0400

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Walter Schmidt wrote:

> Could you, please, explain:
> - which language(s) need Scedilla?

Turkish.

> - which language(s) need Scommaaccent?
> - which language(s) need Tcommaaccent?

Romanian, both.

This is a well-known issue. Romanian delegates weren't careful enough when
the ISO 8859-2 standard was in preparation, so cedilla slipped in place of
comma below, although the latter form is preferred in the Romanian
typography. It was later amended in the ISO10646/Unicode version 3, which
includes S and T with comma below on positions 0x0218-0x021B, apart from
the S with cedilla on 0x015E/0x015F. T with cedilla was retained in the
ISO10646 standard on 0x0162/0x0163, although it is to my knowledge used in
no language.

With kind regards,

Primoz

--
Primož Peterlin,   Inštitut za biofiziko, Med. fakulteta, Univerza v Ljubljani
Lipičeva 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija.  primoz.peterlin@biofiz.mf.uni-lj.si