fontinst v1.914 announcement

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:30:02 -0400

At 20.57 +0200 0-06-16, Rolf Marvin B¯e Lindgren wrote:
>[Lars Hellström]
>
>| - There is now a mechanism for generating the necessary map files entries
>| automatically (I posted an example of what it can produce a few months
>| back). So far it knows how to generate map files for the dvips and dvipdfm
>| drivers, and it can be extended to support other drivers.
>
>but how is the mechanism invoked?  from skimming through the
                                         ^^^^^^^^
Indeed it seems like that is what you have done. I feel very much like
saying RTFM now, but as there is no proper such yet, I suppose I can tell
you what you missed. It's called \recordtransforms.

When I use the map file writer, I have two different command files. The
first make PL, VPL, and FD files (i.e., all the usual fontinst chores) and
can be something like

   \input fontinst.sty
   \recordtransforms{whatever.tex}
   \latinfamily{pad}{}
   \endrecordtransforms
   \bye

When I have ran that through TeX, I run TeX on the example command file
from Section 3 of fisource.tex, and that produces the actual mapfile (or
mapfiles, as it can generate for several drivers simultaneously).

>documentation and testing a bit, it does not seem like any variant of
>
>\input finstmsc.sty
>\input fontinst.sty
You should _not_ have fontinst.sty and finstmsc.sty loaded simultaneously.
They need to define certain commands differently.

>\adddriver{dvips}{pba}{}
Here you say "Open the file pba (TeX will then add a suffix .tex) and set
it up for writing dvips mapfile lines to it." \adddriver has no third
argument.

>\installfonts
>\latinfamily{pba}{}
>\endinstallfonts
You shouldn't wrap \latinfamily in \installfonts ... \endinstallfonts. It
contains those commands internally. As far as I can see, you'll trash your
FDs by doing the above.

>\bye

But have another go!

Lars Hellström