missing FONTDIMEN

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:05:04 -0400

Walter Schmidt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>sorry for  constantly asking questions;
>obviously I'm the only one who does not understand fontinst ...

During some past discussions on this list, quite a lot of people have
claimed similar things. I would therefore conclude that at least this
assumption of yours is wrong. :-)

>I did the following:
>
>(1)  tftopl eurm10
>
>(2)  run fontinst 1.801:
>     \transformfont{eurmo10}{\slantfont{167}{\frompl{eurm10}}}
>
>(3)  pltotf eurmo10
>
>Now I have got two problems with the resulting eurmo10.tfm:
>
>- eurmo10.tfm has no FONTDIMEN entries, as you can see
>  by running it again through tftopl

The PL files \transformfont generates (by calling \mtxtopl) are not meant
to be used for anything else than being base fonts for virtual fonts,
therefore they do not need any fontdimens. If you want a font with
fontdimens, then you should generally do something like:

   \transformfont{eurmo10}{\slantfont{167}{\frompl{eurm10}}}
   \installfonts
      \installrawfont{eurmo10}{eurmo10} <six more parameters>
   \endinstallfonts

You will also need a suitable ETX file, since it is ETX files which set the
fontdimens. I noticed (while searching my hard drive for eurm10) that the
mathinst package contains a file named eurm.etx; that might be what you
need.

>- the checksums of the original eurm10 and the newly created
>  eurmo10 differ;  AFAIK the checksum algorithm should
>  create identical checksums when you apply slanting only.

I can't help you here, I'm afraid. I have never bothered to examine how
checksums are computed.

Lars Hellström

PS: Why do you want to make an eurmo10 in the first case? The impression I
got (from looking at the metafont source) is that eurm10 is a math italic.