splitting fontinst (was: Re: Copyright zzzz)

Ulrik Vieth vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:26:37 +0100

Ulrik:
>> Is it feasible to break fontinst.dtx into several modules that could
>> maintained more easily by different maintainers?

Lars:
> I see no problem with this, and it would probably have
> organisatorial advantages. Apart from the obvious changes, one only
> has to set fontinst.ins up so that at least one of the files is read
> twice (so that there is code for changing catcodes both the
> beginning and the end of fontinst.sty). What could be worth some
> thought here though is what should happen with the fontdoc
> package. Should its commands be distributed around the current code
> for fontinst.sty, or should it continue to reside separately?

I don't understand the problem.  At the moment we have single source
file (fontinst.dtx), which is used to generate several target files
(fontinst.ini, foninst.sty, fontinst.dtx).  If it has organisational
advantages, we could just as well have several *.dtx for various kinds
of fontinst high-level or low-level commands that might be used to
generate the same target files as before.

Cheers, Ulrik.