Behaviour of \latinfamily

Ulrik Vieth vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue, 26 May 1998 16:39:02 +0200

> » Since there is no 8r.mtx, if only does OT1 and T1, but not 8r.
> % locate /8r.mtx
> % $texmf/tex/fontinst/base/8r.mtx

> » Don't ask me why this is so.
> i do!

Oops!  Indeed, there is an 8r.mtx even in the most recent version,
so it does call \installfamily{8r} and it does produce 8rxxx.fd.

It turn out, however, that with Sebastian's Perl wrapper scripts,
I always end up with an 8rxxx.fd file, which is almost empty.

I suspect that this may have to do with automatically running
\textcompfamily immediately after \latinfamily has finished.
If the .fd file entries are written by the individual calls of
\installfont or \installrawfont, the 8rxx.fd entires are output
during the \latinfamily run, but not during \textcompfamily,
where the previously-generate xxx8r.mtx files are reused.

In other words: Accidently, calling \installfamily{8r} again
during \textcompfamily overwrites the good 8rxxx.fd file with
a bad one.  Sebastian, please fix this!

Cheers, Ulrik.

\def\textcompfamily#1#2{
   \edef\temp_command{#1}
   \expandafter\parse_family\temp_command
      \empty_command\empty_command\end_parse_family
   \installfonts
      \installfamily{TS1}{#1}{#2}
%      \if_file_exists{ \raw_encoding.mtx }\then
%         \installfamily{\raw_encoding}{#1}{#2}
%      \fi
      \textcomp_weights
   \endinstallfonts
}