letterspacing

Richard Walker Richard.Walker@cs.anu.edu.au
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:49:37 +1100 (EST)

I'll try \side_bearings and see what happens.

As for letter-spacing of small caps in headings per se, Jan Tschichold
wrote in the Penguin Composition Rules (1947):

`Use small capitals for running headlines and in contents pages.  They
must always be slightly letter-spaced to make words legible.'

If you check a Penguin published in the last fifty years you will find
that this rule is followed.  It is also standard practice for zillions
of other reputable publishers.  I pulled down books from my shelf
published by Cambridge UP, Oxford UP, and Dover.  All three are
typeset in Baskerville and all three have letter-spaced small caps
page headings.