[edutex] Introduction

John Lees-Miller john.lees-miller at overleaf.com
Wed Sep 7 17:56:07 CEST 2016

Hello edutex,

Thanks, Boris for the invitation.

If you're looking for more introductory LaTeX resources to draw on, here
are some that we use at Overleaf.

Many of these come from our community of advisors (about 160 of them) who
teach LaTeX workshops at their institutions. We find that having an online
latex environment definitely helps people get started more quickly, and my
experience is that students in particular find Overleaf's automatic preview
(it compiles all the time in the background) helpful, because it presents
the errors sooner, rather than letting them build up.

1. I maintain some open source slides that I use when I teach workshops:
https://www.overleaf.com/latex/learn/free-online-introduction-to-latex-part-1
https://www.overleaf.com/latex/learn/free-online-introduction-to-latex-part-2
https://www.overleaf.com/latex/learn/free-online-introduction-to-latex-part-3
Source: https://github.com/jdleesmiller/latex-course
(Also translated to Portuguese and German in other forks on github.)

2. A series of 21 introductory LaTeX videos from Vince Knight, which I
think covers most of the topics you suggest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B8Cmm9scmU&list=PL9awiqWAOEaLQ875dCPk0nz7gKv79lTLH
(Like James at ShareLaTeX, we have a long-standing TODO to update these
videos!)

3. A webinar-format intro of LaTeX for biologists:
http://bitesizebio.com/webinar/20591/latex-for-biologists/

4. A three-part introductory series of blog posts (from Arin Basu in New
Zealand):
https://medium.com/thoughts-philosophy-writing/how-to-use-overleaf-to-write-your-papers-part-i-basic-minimalist-setup-6599268c095f
<https://medium.com/thoughts-philosophy-writing/how-to-use-overleaf-to-write-your-papers-part-i-basic-minimalist-setup-6599268c095f#.wapu9ieqd>
https://medium.com/thoughts-philosophy-writing/how-to-use-overleaf-to-write-your-papers-part-ii-tables-figures-bibliography-7a4e921227fd
<https://medium.com/thoughts-philosophy-writing/how-to-use-overleaf-to-write-your-papers-part-ii-tables-figures-bibliography-7a4e921227fd#.jbpkxdtsn>
https://medium.com/thoughts-philosophy-writing/how-to-use-overleaf-to-write-your-papers-part-iii-how-to-use-markdown-with-overleaf-with-help-80f1e27a65a
<https://medium.com/thoughts-philosophy-writing/how-to-use-overleaf-to-write-your-papers-part-iii-how-to-use-markdown-with-overleaf-with-help-80f1e27a65a#.e3mnfu6q2>

5. These ones are more Overleaf-specific, but we also have some about using
some of our integrations with e.g. Plot.ly for collaborative and
reproducible figures and reference managers, which are also very helpful
for beginners.

   - Use Plot.ly to create plots and figures and import them to Overleaf:
   https://www.overleaf.com/blog/201-reproducible-and-collaborative-data-science-overleaf-links-with-plotly#
   - Linking to your Mendeley account: https://www.overleaf.com/blog/184#
   - Import your bibliography from Zotero and CiteULike:
   https://www.overleaf.com/blog/174#
   - Publish to Figshare for a DOI:
   https://www.overleaf.com/blog/10-publish-to-figshare-with-writelatex#

I hope that helps. Let me know if there's anything else that I (or the team
at Overleaf) can help with.

Best,
John

--