[edutex] Another introduction for the edutex mailing list

Christian Hupfer dr.christian.hupfer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:26:09 CEST 2016

Greetings to the subscribers of the TeX in Education mailing list (from
me too)

Similarly to the former USSR etc. countries the new school year in my
local federal state here in Germany starts mid of September,
so I want to greet all teachers/educators and members of the mailing
list of course too.

I'll take the proposition by Boris Veytsman and allow me to introduce
myself as well.

1.  My name is Christian Hupfer and I am born in Germany and still live
there (please apologize my clumsy usage of English language) .
    After reaching my Ph.D. in theoretical Astrophysics in 2006  I
decided to leave the University since I was much more interested in
teaching than in research. This way, I entered another
     education line for myself to became a teacher for Physics and
Mathematics at a German "Gymnasium", which is roughly comparable  to a
level between High School and College. Occasionally I teach BioTech -
classes in Bioinformatics  (on a rather introductory level, however,
since I am neither a Biologist nor a Computer Scientist)

2. Teaching as tutor, occasionally as an 'assistant' to Astronomy
courses at the University I have provided programming courses for
scientific computing and LaTeX courses since 1999, since 2006 I teach
programming and Astronomy/Astrophysics in workshops for pupils and
students in addition to my regular teaching work, involving
one-dimensional calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics in
Mathematics, whereas in Physics the topics range from Newtonian
Mechanics, Gravitation according to Newton, Electrodynamics, Optics,
Oscillations and Waves to very low level Quantum Physics. I have
provided some training units for teachers themselves, about the teaching
of Mathematics.

3.  I encountered LaTeX for the first time at the university in early
1997 on a HP-UX station and never stopped since then. All my theses,
reports, worksheets, exams has since been typeset with LaTeX, since
about 2014 I am very active member on TeX.Stackexchange and got more
into LaTeX 'programming' und released some packages are on CTAN/TL and
started using expl3 features very often now.

4.  The group should provide packages/classes that simplify typesetting
work sheets (the topics differ of course), easier to use answer/solution
- packages, perhaps with database support (MySQL, for example, something
like TikZ externalization provides) and presentation materials for
various subjects, however rather as a framework than ready-to-use
out-of-the-box solutions. In my opinion the framework should be
independent of the real content since this depends on various settings
and personal preferences.

5. I provide support for developing packages (Currently, I am writing
another answer/solution package, but it is not finished and publishable
right now), support for German language and external shell-scriptings
for Linux OS, provide feedback

So much for self-advertisement ;-)

With kindest regards

Christian