[edutex] Introduction

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Wed Sep 7 15:14:03 CEST 2016

Peter mentioned having given courses.  I have a *very* preliminary pass at topics, and I'd be glad for any suggestions from experienced people.

Again, the model is that a college instructor could assign people to take the training, say at the start of a class.  So the goal is to cover what a person needs to do undergrad homework in math, CS, or a science.  The tension is, of course, that we'd like to do it with minimal time and fuss.

I imagined a dozen lessons, each a 10-minute video, and with some fill-in-the-blank-type questions at the end.  (Perhaps I am optimistic with 10 minutes but of course with a video a person can rewind, etc., so it differs from an in-person presentation.)  At the end the student needs to write some small LaTeX docs.  Here is a first take at lesson topics.

  1) Your first LaTeX document
  2) The structure of a document (logical formatting; sections, footnotes)
  3) Mathematics
  4) More mathematics: amsmath and theorems, etc.
  5) Tables
  6) Graphics
  7) Source code listings
  8) More structure (cross-references, table of contents, indices)
  9) Bibliography
  10) TikZ
  11) Packages (including Beamer) and the community
  12) Final Exam

Regards.
Jim