[twg-tds] storing scripts in the texmf tree

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Feb 9 23:40:43 CET 2004

    scripts in texmf trees is to have wrappers in bin/arch.

So, is the purpose of the scripts/ directory to make the wrapper be
faster / more robust?  Are there other benefits?

Right now, it seems some scripts are kept with their packages
(texexec.pl) while others are installed in texmf/perl/ (thumbpdf.pl).
All else being equal, always including them somewhere under the package
directory would reduce the number of directories.  But I realize that
all else is not necessarily equal.

Looking at the top level of TL03, I also see java (with one file,
pp4p.jar).  Seems like it could go there too, although it's not a
"scripting" language exactly.  I'm not sure what other name to propose,
though.  `exec' for executables?  `dataexec' to make clear that they are
platform-independent?

Thanks,