[twg-tds] [gaulle@idris.fr: a TDS question]

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 1 06:48:09 CEST 2003

    > Reinhard, I agree with basically your whole message, except I
    > don't understand this conclusion.  If TEXINPUTS=., and the .tex
    > file says \input dir/file and the system has ./dir/file then it
    > would be found.  Recursive searching is not needed.

I thought that you are looking for <file> first and then check whether
it is in <dir>.  In this case it has to fail because <file> is not in
".".  I just tried
   kpsewhich -format='other text files' <dir>/<file>
and it works.  So ignore what I said before.

BTW.,
   kpsewhich -format=cnf web2c/texmf.cnf
fails with a current version.

    > I think this is more recognizing existing practice.  The only
    > problem I see with it is that the exact syntax \input dir/file
    > with / as the separator will not work on MS-DOS and older Mac
    > versions, so the .tex file would not be portable.  Can someone
    > confirm that it does work in MacOSX?

Isn't the translation from / to the OS's native separator done in
tex.ch?  EmTeX accepted / on old M$-DOS versions while command.com
required \.  As far as I remember / worked on NOS-VE as well.

A few distributions might not do the translations, a good point to
look at is the file ltdircheck.dtx in the LaTeX2e kernel.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			             Phone: +49-511-27060390
Marschnerstr. 25