[twg-tds] Extensions

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Mon Aug 11 00:58:29 CEST 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:12:35 +0200, Thomas Esser wrote:

>So, in short, I suggest that everything that is searched along the
>TEXINPUTS search path be placed into texmf/tex, no matter if some
>extension is used or not.

Being the maintainer of VTeX/Free, I basically second that.
For instance, I see not more reason to distinguish between
texmf/tex and texmf/etex.

But it's not as simple as it seems.  Presently, we have
various "engines" (tex, pdfTeX, VTeX) and each one may
exist as traditional TeX or eTeX.  Now, do you want to
abolish the distinction between tex-pdftex-vtex, or the
distinction between TeX and eTeX?

>  Users want to be able to switch between engines. If one decides to
>  use pdfetex and on other engine, lots of search paths have to be
>  changed, because otherwise pdftex.cfg (which exists in texmf/pdftex)
>  will not be found and things stop working.

Where do you want the file pdftex.cfg to reside in the future?

--
Walter