Helmut Kopka's interpretation of the TDS

Werner Lemberg twg-tds@mail.tug.org
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:13:55 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> I'll carry on with my users here running emTeX off a network drive,
> with the support tree entirely TDS, and all the paths and so on set by
> the shell they use (WinEDT or Eddi4TeX). A few small environment variables,
> emTeX as the base engine, stable, fast enough - and most importantly
> just the same as my parallel Unix setup. I dont spend much time in
> DOS, so I dont/cant do any complicated hacks, and I don't do much
> maintenance on it. It just works.

I'm running a TDS tree on a DOS partition which will be accessed by emTeX
(under DOS) and teTeX (under Linux). It works quite nice, but it's not
possible to strictly follow the TDS standard. I hope that I'll find time
in the next days to describe the layout in detail here.

However, some severe problems still remain:

o   mfjob can't run any other program than mf to create fonts (I need some
    extensions for my Asian fonts)

o   the ! and !! operators are not supported in config files. You can use
    them in the environment only. I'll report this to Eberhart---it's easy
    to change IMHO and would make life much easier to handle TDS.

o   absolutely no support for special.map and friends.

    Werner