[tanmoy@gita.lanl.gov: CTAN archives]

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 10:46:34 +0100

Joerg writes:

> The major announce list I am on is CTAN-ANN (@shsu.edu), it gives a rather
> comprehensive account of the CTAN News.

Yes, definitely.  I'm also subscbribed to "tex-archive", but that list
seems to be mostly idle quite unlike "ctan-ann".  The only people I've
ever seen posting on "tex-archive" were Karl Berry and Nelson Beebe,
i.e. people maintaining their own archive sites independent from CTAN.
Judging from the volume, moving *all* announcements to "ctan-ann" would
seem more reasonable.

> However, if you want to get daily change information, maybe you should set
> up a mirror an get mirror update notices. The university of Mainz has a
> partial mirror from which I get such notices (of course for the respective
> part only).

There are other ways to get daily updates.  For about a year or so my
daily morning routine (besides reading mail and news) included ftp'ing
the latests FILES.last07days.  Now, I've set up a cron job to do it at
6 o'clock in the morning, sort it appropriately, and mail it to me,
so that I can read it with my other mail.  Very convenient, I must say.

Cheers, Ulrik.

---- cut here ----
# Ulrik Vieth's crontab file
# (last modified 1995/08/29)
#
# Every moring at 6:00 get the most recent "FILES.last07days" from ftp.dante.de,
# sort the contents and send it by mail.
0       6       *       *       1-5     /home/vieth/bin/ftpscript.last07days >/dev/null 2>&1
0       6       *       *       0       /home/vieth/bin/ftpscript.byname     >/dev/null 2>&1
---- cut here ----
#!/bin/sh
## This shell script is intended to be run from cron every night.
##
filename=FILES.last07days

# Connect to ftp.dante.de and retrieve the file FILES.last07days.
#
cd /home/vieth/FTP
ftp ftp.dante.de << EOF
cd tex-archive
get FILES.last07days
EOF

# Sort the list of file by date (reversed order) and by file name.
#
/opt/gnu/bin/sort -o $filename -k1,2r -k5 $filename

# If the file isn't too big, mail it to me, so that i can read it
# together with my other mail in the morning
#
if [ `wc -c $filename | awk '{print $1}'` -lt 60000 ];
then
  cat $filename |\
  /usr/ucb/mail -s "FILES.last07days as of `date | awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$NF}`" vieth
else
  echo "Something big has arrived on ftp.dante.de" |\
  /usr/ucb/mail -s "FILES.last07days is too big today" vieth
fi
---- cut here ----
#!/bin/sh
## This shell script is intended to be run from cron every weekend.
##
filename=FILES.byname.gz

# Connect to ftp.dante.de and retrieve the file FILES.byname.gz.
#
cd /home/vieth/FTP
ftp ftp.dante.de << EOF
bin