Which place for docs in French, German, etc?

Joachim Schrod TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 03:04:06 +0100

ML> Ah! So, Adobe and other commercial editors would be generously provided
ML> with complete subtrees in TDS,

ML> I think that the problems are quite clear now, after this
ML> discussion. It is better, for the time being, I forget about TDS
ML> proposals for doc, go on translating important docs into French
ML> with other members of AsTeX association, and try to organize
ML> these the way we think could be best for French users.

I think, that would be a bad decision.

_When_ there is a large amount of french documentation translations
available, we should _add_ doc/french/<package>/ to our doc/<package>/
scheme. As long as this is future not existing stuff, I'm reluctant to
lobby for its addition.

You moan that we provide Adobe and other commercial editors with space
in the TDS tree. The difference is plain and simple: Their stuff
exists right _now_ -- and it was a principle in the TDS development
that we don't standardize future stuff, but concentrate on the
consolidation of existing material. Provide the TeX community with
french translations of all major documentation parts, they will surely
thank you many times for that. _Then_ we'll add a french/ subdir to
doc/. (Actually, that is already part of the TDS: then you'll provide
a package called `french' where you decide for the structure beneath.)

I have seen three translation projects started and not finished in the
past, and would rather like to wait for results before we change the
doc/ structure in the radical manner you came up with. Please note
that that comment shall not degrade your effort, they will be a big
enhancements to the current state of affairs -- but the last dozen
years I have been involved in TeX projects have taught me to be
careful in changing existing working stuff due to announcements.

Regards,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod					Email: jschrod@acm.org
Roedermark, Germany