TDS

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:30:01 +0200

Kurt Hornik:

> Hi,
> Is there any easy way of obtaining state-of-the-art information on the
> TeX Directory Standard and Web2c 7?  (I tried the TDS mailing list
> archive, but could not access anything later than late October 1995.)

Hi,
thanks for your interest in the work of the TWG-TDS.  Concerning
state-of-the-art information, I'd like to point the following:

1.) The latest official TDS draft (version 0.999 as of November 1995)
    should be available on CTAN archvies (e.g. ftp.dante.de from Austria)
    in the directory tex-archive/tds/draft-standard.  This is more-or-less
    the final version as published in TUGboat 16#4.  Nothing has changed
    since then and it isn't clear if there'll ever be a final version 1.0.

2.) Concerning mailing list archives: If the official archives at SHSU.EDU
    are unreliable (Did you also try FILESERV requests by E-Mail?),
    I'd recommend to try some other unofficial archive sites maintained
    by some of the working group members.  One of these sites (maintained
    by Phil Taylor at vms.rhbnc.ac.uk) is listed in the TDS draft itself.

    My own private archives (not listed there) are availabe via WWW from

      http://www.thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de/~vieth/subjects/tex/projects/tds-mail/

    Note however, that most of the discussion since the release of
    version 0.999 has been centered around administrative issues
    such as converting the TDS draft to other formats (e.g. HTML)
    or producing a TDS CD (see http://www.tug.org/texlive.html).
    Very few real organizational issues have been discussed since then.

Hope this helps,
Ulrik Vieth.

(Just speaking for myself as a group member, not for TWG-TDS in general.)