tds 0.99

Paul Vojta TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:46:51 -0700 (PDT)

In his latest diffs, Karl writes:

! No single format-independent path specification, such as
! a recursive search beginning at \path|texmf/tex| specifying no
! other directories, may suffice in general, since
! different formats may reasonably have an input file with the same name.
! Therefore we encourage implementors to provide format-dependent paths,
! by use of, for example, wrapper scripts or configuration files.

Ugh.  I'd still prefer some language encouraging people to gravitate towards
saying \input latex/foobar, etc.

But also, I think that the issue of when duplicate file names within
texmf/tex are allowed should be explicitly addressed.  Current practice seems
to be:

    1.	names of TeX input files must be unique within any of the first-level
	subdirectories of texmf/tex, and
    2.	names of image input files must be unique within texmf/tex.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu