minor editorial comments

K. Berry TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 18:06:29 -0500

    [the the]

    Anyone knows a good spell checker which would catch somthing like that?

Nelson Beebe just mentioned his dw (doubled-word) program in another context:

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:33:33 -0700 (MST)
From: "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu>
To: mackay@cs.washington.edu
Cc: beebe@math.utah.edu, Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@elsevier.co.uk>,
        karl@cs.umb.edu, m.GOOSSENS@cern.ch, monohon@tug.org,
        norm@jasper.ora.com, schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de
Subject: Re: goodies for TUG Unix CD

Sebastian Rahtz writes:

>> dt2dv dv2dt lacheck ps2pk t1ascii t1binary unpost
>> which i'd hate to be without on a daily basis.

To those, I would add my own

	dw
	chkdelim

The first checks for doubled words (which it found in both the TeX and
LaTeX books before anyone else uncovered them), and the second checks
for delimiter balance problems (braces, brackets, parens, dollar
signs).

The first is available from ftp.math.utah.edu:/pub/misc/dw.shar; I've
not packaged chkdelim yet for distribution, but could easily do so if
you'd like to try it out.  It is a member of a suite of utilities that
I wrote to demonstrate the use of UNIX lex/GNU flex in a course that I
taught.  I've found chkdelim enormously useful for C, C++, awk,
BibTeX, TeX, ...

Nelson H. F. Beebe                  Tel: +1 801 581 5254
Center for Scientific Computing     FAX: +1 801 581 4148
Department of Mathematics, 105 JWB  Internet: beebe@math.utah.edu
University of Utah                  URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe
Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA