[texhax] Job applications in LaTeX

Steve Murgaski steve.murgaski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:59:09 CEST 2011

Hi.  I'm very new to LaTeX, having just started working with it a few weeks ago.  So please be patient with some very basic questions.

I made a resume/CV using Andrew McNabb's really interesting template at http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/linux/latexres/  I've converted a resume I made with that to pdf, and am really happy with it.

Now, of course, I need to make a cover letter.  I'd like my cover letter to have a similar font and formatting to the resume I made from McNabb's template.  How can I do this?  How do I change the default font for my document?

I have made some sample letters using the built-in "letter" document class, and scrlttr2, but I don't understand how to control the font beyond [10/11/12pt] in the initial setting of the document class.  What else can I do to change the standard font of my letter?

Pointers to useful documents/tutorials would be good also.  I've found a lot of quite advanced treatises about fonts, but nothing that just spells out for me how to set a default font for my document and start writing.

Thanks.  I really look forward to understanding LaTeX someday, and maybe even varients of it.