Re: TeXLive4

At 01:36 PM 1999-11-20 -0500, George A. Stewart wrote:

Looking at the TeXLive4 installation, I see that I have many font files
that I would like to use from within plain TeX not LaTeX.

For example, in /texmf/fonts/tfm/bh/lucida are many tfm files, which I
believe are named according to NFSS (new font selection scheme).

To take one, for example, hlcbct7t.tfm, I tried to test this by this tex
input:

        \font\fa=hlcbct7t at 24pt %also tried hlhb7t, etc
        \fa This is a test 012345.
        \bye

But these fonts are working.  How to make them work? Please note that
kpsewhich finds the files where they are supposed to be.

There *is* plain TeX (and LaTeX 2.09) support for those fonts, but not
in that distribution (and for that you would use the real font names not
the KB names). But the real problem is that you don' t have the fonts,
only the metrics (while the TeXbook calls TFM files "fonts", they are not).

LucidaBright is available from Y&Y http://www.yandy.com/lucida.htm

Berthold K.P. Horn mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/bkph