Re: afm's for Monotype TimesNewRomanPSMT

At 01:45 PM 11/4/1999 +0100, Walter Schmidt wrote:

>What is the canonical Karl Berry style name for
>Monotype TimesNewRomanPSMT ?
>
>monotype.map says:
>
>   mntr8a    TimesNRMT
>   mnsr8a    TimesNewRomanPS
>
>These entries obviously refer to other font families (?).

This is a confusing business, because of cross licensing.

TimesNewRomanPS from MonoType is - as far as I recollect -
a font that has the same glyph shapes as TimesNRMT,
but advance widths adjusted to be equal to those of
Times-Roman from Adobe.  Then, it appears that MT has
offered at various times also the Adobe TimesNewRomanPS
under the cross licensing. In this case the only real difference
may be in the hinting (and who has to pay licensing fees to whom).

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn  mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu  http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/bkph