Re: kerns of digits

Pierre A. MacKay <mackay@cs.washington.edu> asks on
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:56:09 -0600 (MDT):

>> Does anyone else recall that Tom Rokicki spotted that
>> kern ages ago.  His encoding file includes specific
>> instructions for removing all kerning between digits.

Thanks for the tip, Pierre.  In my dvips-5-580/reencode/DC.enc
file, dated 21-Aug-1992, I found this:

%   We blow away kerns to and from spaces (TeX doesn't have a
%   space) and also remove any kerns from the numbers (although
%   the only kern pair that mentions a number in Times-Roman.afm
%   is one one.)

Evidence earlier today shows that the comment is not correct
about which fonts do this, but Tom certainly had the right idea
7 years ago!

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 322 INSCC                   beebe@acm.org        -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                                    beebe@ieee.org       -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -