Re: [vvv@vvv.vsu.ru: Q: typeface code for Literaturnaya]

At 10:53 1999-05-20 -0400, Karl Berry wrote:

>Forwarding this for discussion, I don't really understand the 8r=faked
>characters stuff.

I suspect the fonts he refers to have ready-made accented characters that
go beyond the "standard" Western 58 in typical Type 1 fonts - which
are referred to 8r.  If he then used an 8r reencoded version of the fonts
he is interested in, he would loose access to the other accented charcacters
(perhaps things like Zdotaccent, Eogonek ?)  In which case he could
use as a base the font as is, if all characters appear in the encoding or some
form reencoded to something that does expose everything.

8r=faked characters, I think refers to the need to built up composite characters
that are not amongst the 58 in 8r (but that may very well be ready-made in
his fotn).

Regards, Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn	mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu  http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/bkph/bkph.html