Re: bitstrea.map

    > » If a filename begins with z, all other characters will be
    > arbitrary.  » Thus there will be no entry in typeface.map which
    > means that I don't » get a directory name for the fonts.

    > edit special.map

Of course you can put everything into special.map which doesn't fit
into the naming scheme easily.  But in my opinion one should always
think about a better solution before putting something to
special.map.  There is too much stuff in it for historical reasons.

Another reason for using the "berry names" is that you can use the
\latinfamily command of fontinst which relies on this naming scheme.

    > 10/15 are not design size units, but the inverse unit, no?

Yes and no.  What you might expect is a font with 10 chars/inch and
another one with 15 chars/inch, but both having the same height.

In this case the relationship width/height is almost the same.  If you
scale the 15 pitch font by 1.5, both fonts have the same width, but
the enlarged 15 pitch font is even a bit higher and has less space
between characters.

So the term "design size" is not totally wrong despite that it is used
in an unusual way.  The font names TenPitch and FifteenPitch are
misleading as well.

If you want to see what I'm talking about I could send you the output
of

%!PS
50 500 moveto 350 0 rlineto gsave .6 setgray stroke grestore
50 500 moveto
/OratorBT-TenPitch 50 selectfont (Hello ) show
/OratorBT-FifteenPitch 50 selectfont 1.5 dup scale (Hello) show
showpage

as a PDF file (only 1525 bytes).  But then don't ask me why the 10 cpi
font appears below the baseline :)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard@kammer.uni-hannover.de