Re: CM fonts updated?

> Following up on the discussion of cmex9.mf variants, I find this at
> ftp://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/:

> ncftp /tex-archive > quote site index cmex9.mf
> index cmex9.mf
> NOTE. This index shows at most 20 lines. for a full list of files,
> retrieve /tex-archive/FILES.byname
> 1995/10/23 |       6140 | fonts/amsfonts/sources/extracm/cmex9.mf
> 1996/07/24 |       4209 | fonts/cm/mf/cmex9.mf
> 1999/01/20 |         29 | fonts/cm/sauter/ready-mf/cmex9.mf
>  (end of 'index cmex9.mf')

> Notice that the more recent of the first two is smaller.

> For the other problem font, ebigof.mf, there is no trace of it found
> by "quote site index ebigof.mf".

You should be looking for "ebigop.mf" which gives you:

1995/10/25 |      44527 | fonts/amsfonts/sources/euler/ebigop.mf
1995/06/13 |      41910 | systems/knuth/local/cm/ebigop.mf

> The smaller cmex9.mf file begins with the significant two-line comment

> % THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmex9.mf BY D E KNUTH.
> % IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!

> while the larger one has an AMS file header labeled version 2.2 dated
> 4-Jan-1995.

> Ignoring the comment lines, diff finds only these differences:

> < font_identifier:="CMEX V2.2"; font_size 9pt#;
> ---
>> font_identifier:="CMEX"; font_size 9pt#;
> 56c25
> < crisp#:=0/36pt#;          % diameter of serif corners
> ---
>> crisp#:=0pt#;      % diameter of serif corners

> Lines marked < are AMS, and those marked > are DEK.

> From the dates, DEK's smaller version is the newest, and further, as
> the Grand Wizard, and CACM (Chief Architect of Computer Modern, not
> Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery), his
> version should prevail.

> So, is someone at the AMS on this list prepared to issue a version 2.3
> dated 24-Jul-1996 with DEK's changes incorporated?

Obviously the difference of 0/36pt# vs. 0pt# doesn't really matter.
As for the font_identifier one might ask whether it should contain any
version number at all.  (After all the font_identifier gets written to
the TFM files and would lead to changes even if the glyph dimensions
remain unchanged.)

Cheers, Ulrik.