Re: Axis in nfss

On 28/02/99 at 16:35, Thierry.Bouche@ujf-grenoble.fr (Thierry Bouche) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quite a long time ago, it was said that "the good way to implement
> MakeUppercase & friends would be to add a "case" axis to NFSS".

I don't think this is the good way, as a matter of fact it cannot
work: uppercase/lowercase/smallcaps is language dependent, and as far
as I know there is no language axis yet in NFSS.

> the "case" axis is really needed, and will be ever, since unicode
> ignores small caps, and multiple digits shapes. (It's a unicode flaw,
> imho, to enforce the capital/small letter distinction [two glyphs for
> the same charachter, no?] and reject small caps,

Unicode ignores these things, but not Unicode++
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.                  yannis@fluxus-virus.com |
|                                 http://www.fluxus-virus.com/yannis |
| 187, rue Nationale                     fax :  +33 (0)3.20.40.28.64 |
| 59800 Lille, France                    tél. : +33 (0)6.07.98.16.26 |
| Visit the Omega home page!!                http://www.ens.fr/omega |
                         ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un aquarium,
                                        mieux vaut n'être pas poisson

                        ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                         has never reached the ground