Re: fontnames for Bitstream Univers

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to install the font family Bitstream Univers
> (aka Bitstream Zurich) via fontinst 1.801.
>
> In bitstream.map (v2.5, 30 September 1998) I found the
> following KB names:
>
> bunc8r    ZurichBT-Black                        0182a___
> bunc8rx   ZurichBT-BlackExtended                0262a___
> bunx8r    ZurichBT-ExtraBlack                   0970a___
>
> This does, however, not work with fontinst, because fontinst
> will not accept both "c" (black) and "x" (extra black).  As a
> workaround I suggest to rename ExtraBlack to "bunu" (ultra
> black), despite its internal name.
>
> Please, note that
>
> bunu8rx   ZurichBT-UltraBlackExtended           0263a___
>
> exists already, but there is no "ExtraBlackExtended", so my
> proposal will not lead to a name clash.  Beside, the stroke
> width of ExtraBlack and the above UltraBlackExtended is more
> or less the same, so it makes sense to classify both as "u".
>
> Perhaps this applies to Adobe Univers, too.

I would rather suggest to change fontinst.sty and assign latin weights
'c' and 'h' to tex weight 'eb' and assign 'x' and 'u' to 'ub'
Maybe, this is what you mean.

I ran into this kind of problem several times with the bitstream fonts
and changed my fontinst.sty, so it fits my purpose.

BTW, how do you handle the typewriter fonts like the Monospace821BT?

   Uwe