Re: Printing problem (Conflicting font name?)

At 03:43 PM 10/21/98 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote:

>There would not necessarily come a Textures job first, it appears the
>problem does arise anyway. I also doubt Textures does partial font
>downloading, since I have the impression that BSR does not give priority to

I know it doesn't since it lets  QuickDarw and the printer drivers deal with fonts
and these do not perform partial font downloading.

>(BTW, I have still not been able to pinpoint _any_
>font downloading in the things Textures send to the printer. But shouldn't
>the printer report some sort of error if a document tries to use a font it
>does not have? I haven't seen that either, despite my requesting the
>printer to give a full report of all errors.)

If you look at the PS code you should find the fonts in PFA format.
Look for `eexec' and many lines of hex code followed by `cleartomark'
Unless you are using only printer resident fonts like Times.
There should also be code that defines the `coordinated' (reencdode to
Mac roman encoding) versions of the fonts with names decorated with /_

If its still puzzling, send me such a file.

>>I believe they would be essentially the same, since the fonts that come with
>>Textures are the ones that BSR/Y&Y/AMS etc. put on CTAN.  The actual
>>file format is different, but by the time QuickDraw unpacks the Mac fonts
>>into the PS file for Textures it is in `PFA' format, the same as what DVIPS
>>produces from PFB files.  Maybe compare the PS produced by the two?

>Well, you're defintely wrong about this one. The CM cut that comes with
>Textures is by BSR (at least they claim the copyright). The CM cut that
>comes with OzTeX is called BaKoMa. I've checked the cmr10 fonts of both
>sets, and the UniqueIDs are not the same, so I very much doubt any printer
>driver should be able to "unpack" them as the same thing.

I had assumed you were using the BSR/Y&Y/AMS fonts off CTAN.  Yes the
BaKoMa fonts are different, and should give even less reason for conflict,
since they use lower case font names, as far as I recollect. Which raises
the issue about how they get around the 5+3+3... font name contracting
problem - but I guess only DVIPS sees these files so it doesn't matter, hmm...

How about having OzTeX use the same fonts?  This might clear up matters.

>Concerning the formats: The dvips in OzTeX can read LWFNs as well as pfas
>and pfbs. The fonts in both families are actually stored in LWFN format.

Which is slighlty odd for BaKoMa given the potential font file name conflict.
Unless the Mac version has been changed to use upper case PS FontNames
after all.

Regards, Berthold.