Re: How can I check for the existence of a glyph in TeX?

At 12:00 pm +0100 15/9/98, Berthold K.P. Horn wrote:
>At 06:25 AM 98/09/15 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>>>The fonts themselves are identical.
>
>>Not in my experience they're not.
>
>You are wrong.
[snip stuff that limits itself to PS Type 1 founts in the Adobe Type Library]

I think I'm right.  Have a look at, say, Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco.  The
TrueType versions that come with the MacOS.  If I meant to limit myself to
PS Type 1 founts in the Adobe Type Library, I'd've said so.

[snip]
>>It's a nice theory; what about the point that Mac founts often have glyphs
>>that don't exist in normal founts (encoded or otherwise): things like pi,
>>sigma, delta, rabbit, apple, candle, and so on?
>
>Mac text fonts do not actually have any of those glyphs.  On the Mac, 15
>`mathematical' symbols are imported from the Symbol font into text fonts:

Rabbit, candle, and sheep (Geneva ASCII 217) don't seem to exist in the
Symbol fount, so I don't believe you.

And are you *certain* that these other glyphs are imported into the
TrueType founts that come with the MacOS?  Not just the PS Type 1 ATM
compatible founts you like to restrict yourself to: does this apply to
*all* the TrueType founts that come with the MacOS?

[snip]

Rowland.